[Lazarus] Timing of all compiler options on slow machines

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 16:03:03 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:
> then i started lazrus and went to Projects->Options->other... the window
> that popped up says
>
>   Reading compiler options took: 00:14.125
>
> then i clicked on the [All options] button and the box that popped up says
>
>   Rendering compiler options GUI took: 00:00.157

Quite amazing!
I thought GUI rendering is always slower than running "fpc -h".
I understand the reasons you explained for slow startup times of
processes, but such a huge slowdown is too much.

I am thinking now if this is only a sole exception and all other
computers can run "fpc -h" in milliseconds.
If there are other computers with the same problem then I must put the
reading code into a thread.
The thread would be started when options "Other" page is selected,
just like now. Then it may be ready when user clicks the "All options"
button, not adding any visible delay anywhere.

> i don't know if it matters that i opened my thunderbird and started writing
> this response before clicking OK on the first box once i accurately wrote
> the reading compiler options line...

It does not matter. The fpc process had run already at that point.

Juha