[Lazarus] Timing of all compiler options on slow machines

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Wed Aug 21 18:48:53 CEST 2013

On 8/21/2013 11:45, Sven Barth wrote:
> On 20.08.2013 21:23, waldo kitty wrote:
>> as a test, i unloaded all non-essential apps and left only my avast
>> anti-virus running...
>>
>> my script says it takes 15 minutes 35 seconds for
>>
>> make clean
>> tortoise update
>> and the two above make and lazbuild functions
>>
>> then i started lazrus and went to Projects->Options->other... the window
>> that popped up says
>>
>> Reading compiler options took: 00:14.125
>>
>> then i clicked on the [All options] button and the box that popped up says
>>
>> Rendering compiler options GUI took: 00:00.157

[...]
> Could you also test without antivirus and could you also test a second time (so
> that the executable might now reside inside the cache).

i will try... currently i've just also had some weirdness come up and am having
random reboots... but i lost a power supply the other day and it is possible
that this used replacement one is not fully up to snuff and causing problems...
i have to dig and see if i can find another one [sigh]... if it isn't one thing,
it is another :?

> Maybe I'll need to test this on my mobile development computer as well (800 MHz
> Intel Stealy processor, 1 GB RAM, Windows 7) ^^

i don't know if it is worth it but it may be desirable to build a table of
machines with their necessary specifics to get an idea of what is really going
on... i'm going to try my tests again in a bit after unloading everything and
having the machine run only in its sunsuit ;)