[Lazarus] Proposal for changing fpc version on the fly in the IDE

patspiper patspiper at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 17:53:54 CEST 2013

On 22/08/13 17:26, Henry Vermaak wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 05:12:04PM +0300, patspiper wrote:
>> On 22/08/13 16:23, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>> I usually add a couple of symlinks in /usr/local/bin e.g. ppcsparc
>>> -> ppcsparc-2.6.2 and ppcsparc-2.6.2 ->
>>> /usr/local/lib/fpc/2.6.2/ppcsparc. The fpc binary will be the one
>>> installed by the most recent build.
>> You are tweaking your system unnecessarily. Just make sure that both
>> folder paths are exported and forget about any symlinks. That's by
>> far more flexible, easily upgradeable, and less prone to errors.
> symlinks are actually quite useful if you want to use different compiler
> versions.

That's one way for sure, but I'd rather keep my different installs
separate and either export the right paths or use the Xp switch.

Btw, are the Xp and V switches documented? fpc does not list them and
they cannot be found in
http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/user/userap1.html#x169-176000A

Stephano