[Lazarus] Timing of all compiler options on slow machines

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Aug 25 13:00:03 CEST 2013

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:06:31 +0200
Ludo Brands <ludo.brands at free.fr> wrote:

> On 08/25/2013 10:24 AM, Juha Manninen wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 4:04 AM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:
> >> this define? TimeAllCompilerOptions
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> >> i believe so and will remove it from my script for further testing...
> >
> > May I ask, why you need the script? I build Lazarus often but I don't
> > need a script for it.
> >

> >> question: with the timings in the status bar, can they easily be copied and
> >> pasted? previously i've had to waste a tree or two to retain them during a
> >> series of tests... but one tree isn't so bad i guess since i have 20 acres
> >> of them available 15 miles from anywhere ;)
> >
> > Based on Martin's comments I changed it to use DebugLn now. The
> > StatusBar is gone.
> > It is easy to copy text from log / debug output.
> >

> On an atom based system linux gtk2, 2 runs:
> RunTool /home/ludo/fpc_hg/trunk/bin/fpc.sh "-Tlinux" "-Pi386" "-i"
> RunTool /home/ludo/fpc_hg/trunk/bin/fpc.sh "-Tlinux" "-Pi386" "-h"
> AllCompilerOptions: Time for reading options: 00:00.726, rendering GUI:
> 00:01.762
> AllCompilerOptions: Time for reading options: 00:00.726, rendering GUI:
> 00:01.705

Keep in mind that the first number may vary a lot, because it shows
the time between start and end, not the time needed by the thread.
In parallel the main thread paints the "other" options page, which
has some impact on other processes.

> Running from console while lazarus running (same memory conditions):
> $time /home/ludo/fpc_hg/trunk/bin/fpc.sh "-Tlinux" "-Pi386" "-i"
> real	0m0.012s
> user	0m0.004s
> sys	0m0.008s
> $time /home/ludo/fpc_hg/trunk/bin/fpc.sh "-Tlinux" "-Pi386" "-h"
> real	0m0.038s
> user	0m0.024s
> sys	0m0.008s

"time" shows what the process alone needed - which is more accurate.

> So a lot of time is lost somewhere in reading the options. 50ms -> 726 ms.
> 1.7 secs to render a form is a lot. 300ms on an i7. But you indicated
> the form would use a faster grid in a the future:)

Mattias