[Lazarus] The future of desktop

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Dec 2 21:55:36 CET 2013

Kostas Michalopoulos schrieb:
> Actually, Microsoft has nothing to do with GEM, it was made by Digital
> Research.

Right, but it was the first desktop presented by Microsoft.

> Also technically GEM is/was very different from Windows (GEM
> relies on interrupts and can run only a single program while Windows
> was multitasking from the start,

I'm not sure what GEM has to do with multitasking.

> GEM apps can be made by any DOS
> compiler that can issue interrupts and has the necessary header files,
> Windows apps require special compilers, etc).

I don't see a need for an special Windows compiler. The only requirement
is a linker that links the resources into the executable. This was a
separate program for a long time, in addition to the compiler and linker.

DoDi