[Lazarus] The future of desktop

Avishai avishai.gore at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 21:08:56 CET 2013

There's very little interest because it simply can't do the job.  If you're
looking to buy a new car, you don't stop at a motorcycle shop.  If Lazarus
could overcome just a few of the major obstacles I think there would be
RightToLeft people that would make the effort to create a great RightToLeft
tool.

As it stands right now, if you mirror any TWinControl (like the Forms) to
make it RightToLeft it corrupts the canvas and makes it unusable.  At that
point, you close Lazarus, and delete it from your system and continue
looking for a development tool that can do what you need.  Bottom line,
very little interest.

Delphi doesn't have this problem.  You can make true RightToLeft
applications that work very well with very little effort.  But Delphi is
expensive and in many respects it is inferior to Lazarus.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Florian Klämpfl <florian at freepascal.org>wrote:

> Am 04.12.2013 15:49, schrieb Avishai:
> > Everything I say here is my opinion only and related to MSWindows only
> > because I do not have another OS to work with.  I think Lazarus could
> grow
> > quite a bit and maybe find some deep pockets, if it would address the
> > problems of RightToLeft language support.  There are a few billion people
> > that must deal with the RightToLeft world.
>
> If there was a significant interested, I'am sure somebody using
> RightToLeft would have addressed these problems.
>
> > But with Lazarus's RightToLeft
> > limitations, programmers take one look and move on to something with
> better
> > support.  At the moment, on MSWindows, you can not produce a true
> > RightToLeft application with Lazarus.
>

> --

Shalom,
Avishai