[Lazarus] The future of desktop

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Dec 5 10:51:59 CET 2013

Danny Weldon wrote:

>> rants about 1970s projects which failed because Pascal wasn't up to the job,
>> from people who freely admit that they've not tracked developments since
>> that era.
>>
>> So to summarise: it's not a deficiency of Lazarus or the development process
>> that makes promotion an uphill struggle. Rather, it's the long-standing
>> inability of the Pascal community to promote the language, to the extent
>> that these days even its members believe the misinformation spread about it.
>
> Maybe we need a bit more information on the Lazarus home page about it.

That's not going to work. Would you visit a site devoted to Arabic
calligraphy when what you were looking for was a word processor for the
novel you'd just thought of?

What we need is a way of raising awareness of the strengths of the
language by showcasing its use. But if FPC and Lazarus themselves aren't
effective demonstration projects then I don't know what would be better.

One question to be considered is how the C community has managed to move
from the acknowledged deficiencies of the K&R era to the strengths of
ANSI C and (later) C++, without having its members rebel as things like
type checking and a large standard library were introduced into the
language.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk