[Lazarus] Lazarus Webpage

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 14:07:50 CET 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Martin Frb <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:
> On 05/12/2013 09:15, Danny Weldon wrote:
>> Maybe we need a bit more information on the Lazarus home page about it.

I think in a very opposite way. The main page should have less
information. It should be clear, elegant and attractive. It should
give the most essential information for a casual visitor in few
seconds, before he continues to some other page.
If the visitor got interested, there must be a visible and easy
Download/Install button so he can test it.
The page now fulfills those requirements and I am happy for that, but
it also has useless clutter which makes it look messy.
For example Recent Forum Posts don't belong to the main page IMO.
I expressed this same opinion also earlier but other people wanted all
that clutter and I am OK with it.

Martin, apparently you are getting private mails about the page. Do
you also have patches for it?
As a coincidence I got private mail from Christian Sciberras.
He has revamped and modernized the PHP code but not touched the page
contents. Especially the template engine was old and needed a revamp
(according to him).
The sources are here if somebody wants to have a look :
  https://github.com/uuf6429/LazarusWebsite
I will test it ASAP (sorry Christian I didn't do it yet), and maybe
put it in Lazarus test server for everybody to test. If it works as
advertised, I will accept it.
Tomorrow is a national holiday here and I will spend time for Lazarus
project then.

What about the patches that do change the contents? I was waiting for
content changes already a long time. Who will be the final judge for
them? They are always a matter of opinion.
If I am in a position to accept/reject those (hypothetical) patches, I
fill follow my idea of a clear and elegant web page which respects the
heritage of the project.
We will see when we get those patches...

Juha