[Lazarus] Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Thu Dec 19 17:18:44 CET 2013

Am 2013-12-17 19:51, schrieb Martin Schreiber:
> On Tuesday 17 December 2013 19:15:15 Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
>> IMO it makes very much sense to use UTF8 (which Linux uses anyway)
> Warning: Linux uses "array of byte" for filenames, not utf-8 AFAIK.

Of course, as long as it is only stored in the file system it is alway just an array of bytes.
Encoding is irrelevant as long as you only identify files by the byte sequence.
But when displaying such a file name on the screen then the display component
mußt have a clue about the encoding so that characters can be displayed.
There must be a convention how to *interpret* that array of byte.

But it seems that actually such a convention does not realy exist when I read this correctly:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/2089/what-charset-encoding-is-used-for-filenames-and-paths-on-linux