[Lazarus] OT: Re: Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 12:34:05 CET 2013

On 24/12/2013 18:35, Marcos Douglas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Reinier Olislagers
> <curious>
> So the answer for these problems is?
> </curious>
>
> Sorry but It is a real problem. No answer was presented so far and I
> have many system coded using Lazarus... this is important for me and,
> I think, for many Windows programmers.

As Juha said, there is no simple answer. If there had been a simple
answer, it would have been implemented ages ago, of course.

> Why these questions bother you?
This question as such does not bother me.

The endless repetitive discussions about U[1] with armchair theorists
repeating the same arguments they used the previous discussion does.

Currently, people are working on getting U[1] support into FPC. I'd
suggest helping them instead of blowing hot air in discussions.
Even if you're one of those theorists that disapprove of whatever
choices are made currently, the sooner it is clear that those choices
will or will not work in practice, the better: if it turns out to be
unworkable, an alternative solution can be tried.
Just talking about it endlessly does not help.

[1] Unicode, the standard, or any implementation of it, not necessarily
the Delphi UTF16 flavour.