[Lazarus] Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Craig Peterson craig at scootersoftware.com
Wed Dec 25 23:22:31 CET 2013

On Dec 25, 2013, at 3:43 PM, Jy V <jyv110 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I cannot let you answer alone and make you appear as the only knowledgeable reference for this important subject,
> it looks like defining default code page 65001 for Windows make it perfect fit to handle UTF-8
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd317756%28VS.85%29.aspx

Windows doesn't support using UTF-8 as the default system code page and never will. Michael Kaplan, from Microsoft, has talked about it a number of times in his blog. The original site is unfortunately offline, but it's available through the Internet Archive at https://web.archive.org/web/20120414160234/http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2006/10/11/816996.aspx
https://web.archive.org/web/20110108050100/http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2006/07/04/656051.aspx

The short answer is that all of the selectable ANSI codepages have at most 2 bytes, and UTF-8 can have up to 4, which would require auditing/updating huge amounts of code.

--
Craig Peterson
Scooter Software