[Lazarus] Beyond Compare 4 built with Lazarus 1.2

Craig Peterson craig at scootersoftware.com
Thu Dec 26 03:10:36 CET 2013

On Dec 25, 2013, at 5:11 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
> I wonder what exact "support" he means.

Wonder no more:
1) "string" uses a Unicode encoding
2) AnsiString/UTF8String casts perform appropriate conversions
3) File APIs support Unicode filenames
4) Windows headers use W version by default.
5) LCL and RTL agree on string encoding
6) In a stable Lazarus and FPC release

As long as the language and libraries agree on an encoding I don't really care whether it's UTF-8 or UTF-16.  I've also been working with Unicode since 2001 though, and have had to deal with plenty of different encodings, file formats, and API conversions in that time, so I don't think our usage is indicative of the average Delphi programmer, and I wouldn't want to speak for anyone else.

--
Craig Peterson
Scooter Software