[Lazarus] Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Fri Dec 27 21:39:38 CET 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Jürgen Hestermann
<juergen.hestermann at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 2013-12-27 12:21, schrieb Marco van de Voort:
>
>> The current situation really worries me, since at work I invested in
>> FPC/Lazarus in the assumption that compatibility would increase, not
>> decrease.
>
> I think that's the root cause of the discussion:
>
> Some want to make FPC/Lazarus into a (possibly exact) clone of
> Delphi (which means to follow every sh*t that is and will be put into this
> product)
> and others (like me) hope for a more Pascal like programming environment
> which at least avoids future (maybe even removes existing) obscurity
> crept into Pascal with Borland/Embarcadero.
>
> The ease of use was the reason for success of Turbo-Pascal but
> meanwhile this goal has been put aside and it becomes a more
> C-like environment (with lots of ugly hacks..).
>
> On the other hand I understand the demand for compatibility if there is a
> lot of
> (Delphi) code that needs to be reused and cannot be changed easily.

+1
Your comments are smart.
I understand but IMHO FPC (and Lazarus) should make your own way.
I know there are many Delphi codes cannot be easily rewritten. For
this the FPC has the {mode delphi} but the {mode FPC}, IMO, should be
different. Maybe a new way completly different than Delphi to work
with strings, maybe the programmer could change the string type for
all codes (rtl, packages, etc)...

If we continue to follow Delphi, means that we are always one step behind.

Marcos Douglas