[Lazarus] Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Fri Dec 27 23:43:16 CET 2013

On 2013-12-27 21:12, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> Fact is that the extensions of FPC are used much less than the Delphi
> compatibility aspect.

And would you mind sharing how you came to that conclusion? Can you
share the data on that research?

>From my personal experience of using FPC since 2004-2005, there is NO
need to have support for two compilers (Delphi & FPC) in a single
project. Free Pascal is more than capable enough to stand on its own
feet. Speaking as someone that has personally ported large Delphi and
Kylix project not only to Free Pascal and Lazarus's LCL, but also to
fpGUI - a completely VCL incompatible UI toolkit. I have done this for
multiple projects, frameworks and GUI widgets. My conclusion after all
this... A conversion is NOT THAT HARD, and it's a great time to review
old code too. So it has a triple positive. Moving to a real
cross-platform compiler, a real cross-platform toolkit (be that LCL or
fpGUI) and being able to review and improve old code and designs (your
second attempt and software is ALWAYS better that your first).

Many projects have moved away from Delphi in the last few years - mostly
to other languages like C# or Java. That requires a total rewrite -
which is infinitely more work than moving to Free Pascal.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/