[Lazarus] Beyond Compare 4 built with Lazarus 1.2

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Dec 28 12:04:57 CET 2013

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013, Marcos Douglas wrote:

>> The close coupling of compiler and framework is necessary for a commercial
>> software producer in order to optimize profit, opensource development does
>> not need it. It is not necessary that the compiler and its environment
>> dictate how the frameworks must be implemented.

Profit has nothing to do with it. Usability has.
A compiler without some minimal support libiraries is dead-born.

Pascal has extensive file support. (Readln/Writeln) it makes for a large part of the system unit.
if you take that out, little 'needed' is left, but at the same time you reduce the usability of
the compiler.

That said:
Nothing stops anyone from implementing a totally separate RTL for FPC.

The number of internal functions that must be implemented for the compiler to be able to function
is rather limited.

If you check the archives, you'll notice that I have often recommended people to do so.

Michael.