[Lazarus] Beyond Compare 4 built with Lazarus 1.2

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sat Dec 28 13:04:33 CET 2013

Am 2013-12-28 12:46, schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
 >> Even when looking into documentation there is no information about
 >> which string encoding the routines use/need.
 >> For example, not a single word about string encoding here:
 >> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/sysutils/findfirst.html
 > For a simple reason: currently, in the released version of FPC, there is no need to document encoding.

??.
So I can use any string type I like for the path of FindFirst?
Strange.

 > The language guide clearly states that in Delphi mode, String = Ansistring.

What language guide?
If I look at the web documentation of FindFirst there is
absolutely *no* information about the string type of the path.
Why not?
It should be the reference.
It does not even tell me that it is a string:
   const Path: ;
What should the user think here?
That it can be an untyped variable like for fillchar?

 > In ObjFPC mode it is shortstring, unless set to ansistring as well using {$H+}.
 > So, in both cases 'string' = a single byte string, system codepage.
 > There is - in the released FPC - no overloaded version with widestrings.
 > Hence there is no need to document encoding: it is implicit.

I don't understand what you are trying to say.
When I (as a programmer) want to use i.e. FindFirst I have to hand over a path.
I now want to declare a string type for this.
Which one should I use?
Could it be whatever I want?
I can't find out with the documentation.