[Lazarus] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sat Dec 28 17:31:38 CET 2013

Am 28.12.2013 16:40, schrieb Jürgen Hestermann:
> Am 2013-12-28 14:09, schrieb Florian Klämpfl:
>> The world is not only 1 and 0. FPC lives (and living means getting
>> usefull code!) from being delphi compatible but filling the niches
>> delphi leaves open.
>
> What niches?

If you can/want affort it; if it supports the target you need etc. ...
niches ...

> It seems you want a possibly exact clone so where are niches?

Between clone and good compatibility is a *slight* difference.

> And what is the reason behind this?

The niches.

> Just use Delphi then.

On linux? VCL/IDE on Mac OS X?

>> GPC proved your argumentation wrong. GPC took the "clean way" of
>> extended pascal (you always complain about fpc's dyn. arrays. Just use
>> GPC, it has the clean solution)
>
> I don't know GPC so I can't comment on this.
> But I never complained about dynamic arrays (I use them as often as
> possible)
> I complained about their syntax (automatic dereferencing on indexing).

Have a look at extended pascal then.

>> Unfortuntaly GPC development stopped for
>> years due to missing contributors.
>
> And the reason is that is was not enough Delphi compatible?

What else? The main difference between GPC and FPC is/was that GPC aimed
at iso/extended pascal while FPC had a delphi mode.

>> The people keeping FPC alive are
>> those interested in Delphi compatibility.
>
> That seems to be the bottom line which makes any discussion useless.

Yes.

> Don't write any opinions anymore they will be ignored anyway.

Yes.

> All those who don't like the current developement should role their own.

There is a slight but important different: discussions are useless,
writing specifications and code not.

> Let's split Pascal into hundreds of dialects instead of striving for an
> universal one.

Well, at least some people try to prevent this by taking delphi as the
universal one.