[Lazarus] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sun Dec 29 10:47:04 CET 2013

Am 29.12.2013 10:04, schrieb Martin Schreiber:
> On Saturday 28 December 2013 16:40:12 Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
>> Am 2013-12-28 14:09, schrieb Florian Klämpfl:
>>
>>  > The people keeping FPC alive are
>>  > those interested in Delphi compatibility.
>>
>> That seems to be the bottom line which makes any discussion useless.
>> Don't write any opinions anymore they will be ignored anyway.
>> All those who don't like the current developement should role their own.
>> Let's split Pascal into hundreds of dialects instead of striving for an
>> universal one. At least an honest statement.
>>
> I also appreciate Florians always clear statements

Well, in this case twenty years teached me a lesson so I can make a
clear statement. When I started FPC I had a lot of ideas how I could do
things differently and how it could help my chess program initially
written in TP. However, nobody shared those ideas, well, they had their
own.

This repeated over years: generics: we tried a radically different
approach, with a syntax being verbose and showing that they are
something really special and not just another type, basically nobody
liked the approach. So nobody worked on fixing the problems with them
till delphi got them as well and people wanted a delphi compatible
syntax. Now people complain that the compiler is slow because it is
feature loaded, true. Having a delphi compatible only compiler for x86
only would result in a much faster compiler.

For strings, I proposed, the first time ~2000 I think, to introduce
basically an opaque string type which can store any encoding, people
complained, this will be too slow (true), incompatible with old code
(true), incompatible with delphi (true). So it never happended. This
list can be continued endlessly. Lesson learned.