[Lazarus] Communication with PostgreSQL

Johann Spies johann.spies at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 12:13:09 CET 2013

Long ago I have worked with Turbo Pascal 7 in a DOS environment.

Now after many years I want to use Pascal again.  I have installed Lazarus
on my Debian system and had some success with initial short routines trying
to refresh my old skills and trying to cope with all the changes.

I want to develop a command line program which can communicate with a
PostgreSQL server.

There are two example programs with a Makefile in
/usr/share/doc/fp-units-db/2.6.0/examples/postgres/ and
/usr/share/fpcsrc/2.6.0/packages/postgres/examples/

which compiles if I use make.

But when I try to use either of those programs in Lazarus or try to compile
it with fpc from the command line  I get the message

Fatal: Can't find unit postgres used by testpg

I see there is a button for database connections when developing
gui-products and that it does not use the postgres unit but rather
something like pqconnection. When I put that in the above file in Lazarus I
get

Fatal: Can't find unit contnrs used by Masks

I have also tried to add

/usr/share/fpcsrc/2.6.0/packages/postgres
/usr/lib/fpc/2.6.0/units/x86_64-linux
/usr/lib/fpc/2.6.0/units/x86_64-linux/postgres
/usr/share/fpcsrc/2.6.0/packages/postgres

to the environment options/path editor of Lazarus, but that did not make
any difference.

How do I go forward from here?

Regards
Johann
--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)