[Lazarus] New iOS xib-Designer for Lazarus available for testing

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Sun Feb 17 17:10:26 CET 2013

Hi all,

I've finished a version of my iOS xib-Designer which is good enough for testing. ;)

This package adds a designer to design iOS layouts, which are stored in xib-files. You can create an xib-file in Lazarus, then open it in XCode to adapt it and open it in Lazarus again, without any changes being lost.

Outlets are added automatically. This way you can use the objects in the iOS layout as you are used to from working with the LCL.  There is one big difference though: the (objective-C) class you are editing is not the window as you see in the designer, but a delegate which is bound to the window.
With the LCL you create a new TFormXX class, that inherits from the TForm class. On iOS you have one or multiple UIWindows in the designer, and the code contains a class that is a delegate for these windows.

More information can be found in the wiki: http://wiki.freepascal.org/iOS_Designer

There's a lot that still can be done. For example my painting skills are almost non-existing, so there's a lot of improvement possible there. More objects can be added, and more properties/settings for the existing objects.

Oh, and if someone is so kind to create some icons for the component palette...

All input is welcome.

Despite all it's shortcomings, it is possible to build and publish applications with it. I do have several commercial applications which are already build with it.

Joost.