[Lazarus] IDE window positions

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Sat Feb 2 12:36:00 CET 2013

On Saturday 02 of February 2013 10:45:31 Ludo Brands wrote:
> On 02/02/2013 10:14 AM, Juha Manninen wrote:
> > Sounds like this bug:
> >   http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=14906
> >
> > although you apparently hit the bug much more often than others.
> > For example I see it only once in few months yet I start Lazarus often.
> > It means that you are the only person who can debug the problem. :)
>
> This bug is my daily "good morning" from lazarus since I moved to Kubuntu
> ;)
>
> > I am thinking what can cause the randomness. There are no asynchronous
> > messages, no threading, no complex widgetset interaction when setting
> > the window positions.
> > It is done in Lazarus code. Values are read from a config file and
> > windows and given positions.
> > Ok, there is widgetset interaction but this one is simple and well
> > tested.
> >
> > Uninitialized variable is my biggest suspect. Where it is, I have no
> > idea.
>
> I'll start with throwing in a lot of debug lines. Any suggestions on
> where and what to look for are welcome.

hm...do you use compositing manager ? If yes, can you disable it and then make
an trial to see if positions are ok ?
There's one big problem with gtk2 and compositing manager and geometry
(resize) changes. Without compositing resize events of form are passed
correctly (as gtk2 docs says), but with compositing manager you have x5 resize
events and it's very hard to get out which one is correct.

zeljko