[Lazarus] Buttons in frames

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 16:14:45 CET 2013

Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 13:13:21 +0000
> Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Sorry.
>>> The IDE does not resolve symlinks in paths. That means if the IDE
>>> opens a wrong file, then it does so, even if the two directories were
>>> copies instead of symlinks. Your talk about a problem with symlinks
>>> mislead me.
>> Don't worry, it was some while before I started focusing on what the
>> real problem was.
>>
>> To add context for the error message, the error I've forced in looks like
>>
>> -----8<-----
>> type    TDbConfigInit= procedure(confFrame: TDbConfigFrame; init:
>> boolean= true);
>>          TDbConfigRead= function(confFrame: TDbConfigFrame; mr:
>> TModalResult): boolean;
>>
>> ty pe	// Line 22
>>
>>    { TDbConfigFrame }
>>
>>    TDbConfigFrame = class(TFrame)
>> ----->8-----
>>
>>> So, let's forget the symlinks and find out why the IDE opens the wrong
>>> file.
>>>
>>> Please confirm:
>>> The messages window shows an error on the file
>>> /usr/local/src/heavywethers/inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas
>> /usr/local/src/heavywethers/inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas(22,4)
>> Fatal: Syntax error, "=" expected but "identifier PE" found
>>
>>> but the source editor opens the file
>>> /usr/local/src/inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas
>>> Right?
>> I think so, or at the very least it opens a new tab/pane so that I've
>> now got tabs labeled "DbConfigCode2" and "DbConfigCode2(2)".
>> "Information about the IDE" tells me
>>
>> Project.SomethingModified Session
>>
>> Project units:
>> ./../inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas SessionModified
>
> Is this "../../" or really "./../" ?

I'm pretty sure that was ../../ but the cut or paste operation was
trimming it. However I think we've got a Heisenbug here: "Information
about the IDE" -> Modified is now displaying

SourceEditorManager.SomethingModified

Source Editor:
   /usr/local/src/heavywethers/inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas
Component=True

and the IDE now doesn't open a duplicate tab/pane when the compiler
complains about the error. I think what's happened is that my action of
restarting the IDE with the file closed has sorted things out. In other
words this lot is still approximately valid...

>> Project units:
>> ./../inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode.pas SessionModified
>>
>> which based on the project directory being
>> /usr/local/src/heavywethers/trunk implies
>> /usr/local/src/inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas (I'm trying to be
>> cautious jumping to conclusions here).
>
> see above.
>

>> Source -> Unit Information -> General on the new DbConfigCode2(2) tab
>> tells me /usr/local/src/heavywethers/inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas
>> [manual transcript] which is what the file should be.
>
> ok
>
>> ... Unit paths
>> refers to /usr/local/src/heavywethers/inifiles/trunk which is OK. Source
>> paths ditto.
>
> ok
>

>> But Source -> Unit Information -> General on the original DbConfigCode2
>> tab tells me it's /usr/local/src/inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas which
>> is wrong.
>
> What is this "original"? When is it opened?
> In my former mails I assumed you had opened it yourself.

dbconfigcode2 is the name on the tab created when the IDE (at startup)
read the project. I was assuming that dbconfigcode2(2) was the one that
the IDE created when the compiler reported the error, but looking at the
file paths I'm not entirely sure.

>> I need to be very cautious about jumping to any conclusions over this
>> (having already been wrong once), but it looks as though the compiler is
>> getting and reporting the right path
>>
>> Compiling /usr/local/src/heavywethers/inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas
>
> yes.
>

>> but the IDE at some earlier stage has resolved it to
>> /usr/local/src/inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas which it shouldn't.
>
> What is this "some earlier stage"?

When the IDE was opening the project.

>> That
>> actually fits my experience that given that sort of duplicate tab it's
>> safer to close the older one.
>>
>> If I close the older tab/pane, save-all and terminate then restart, the
>> one tab that's displayed relating to that file has the correct name
>> /usr/local/src/heavywethers/inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas.

..up to this point where I've just done something that makes the
problem go away.

> All tabs are named uniquely. If you open two units with the same name
> one will get the "(2)" appended. The "(2)" vanishes when the name
> becomes unique again.

Yes, but which tab gets the suffix: the one that already exists or the
newly-created duplicate?

>> I think it's worth noting that since I updated this copy of the IDE etc.
>> to trunk (i.e. rather than it being a couple of weeks old) I'm seeing
>> additional startup warnings
>>
>> FindMissingClass DbConfigFrame1:TDbConfigFrame IsInherited=False
>> TLazSourceFileManager.LoadLFM loading nested class TDbConfigFrame needed
>> by /usr/local/src/inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode.pas
>
> It simply means: This form is opened and needs some frame of another
> unit.
>

>> However I think that's something to do with the non-working OnClick
>> which I'll get back to presently, this business with tab/pane
>> duplication is at least a few weeks old.

So it looks as though it's something to do with the saved state of the
project, i.e. which files are listed as to be opened when the project is
loaded. The file giving the problem had been open (across multiple
sessions of the IDE) ever since the unit and associated frame was
created and saved, I can't remember exactly how I did the save (i.e.
whether it was an explicit save-all or an implicit save when the
compiler was run or the IDE shut down).

If the compilation is run and finds an error where the file isn't
already open, the file is opened with the correct path and there are no
further problems.

Drat- it's just started happening again. The thing that appears to have
made the difference was telling the IDE to open the frame associated
with the unit, I can now see both forms of the path/name stored in the
.lps file:

       <Unit12>
         <Filename Value="../../inifiles/trunk/dbconfigcode2.pas"/>
         <IsPartOfProject Value="True"/>
         <ComponentName Value="DbConfigFrame"/>
..
       <Unit15>