[Lazarus] Problem with zeos and sqlite-3

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 16 13:46:33 CET 2013

Am 16.02.2013 13:28 schrieb "Michael Van Canneyt" <michael at freepascal.org>:
>> Furthermore, SQLite makes a good partner for FreePascal and Lazarus,
>> so you should not discourage people here from using it.
>

> I strongly disagree it is a good partner.
>
> Object Pascal is a strongly typed language:
> FPC database code expects an integer in a column declared as integer.
>
> So if sqlite does not ensure this, it is a bad partner for Object Pascal.
>
> A good partner is Firebird or Postgres: real databases with stable apis.
>
> I will never stop discouraging people from what I think is very bad
software.
> And I consider sqlite very bad for the reasons outlined above.

But unlike Firebird and PostgreSQL one can rather simply port SQLite to a
new platform. And I also like the idea of virtual tables. So in that sense
the ZMSQL you posted might be a compareable alternative if now one only
adds support for virtual tables, adds some other nice features like
triggers (or do they exist already?) and improves the performance :D

Regards,
Sven