[Lazarus] record literal in FPC?

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Jan 10 09:50:25 CET 2013

On 01/09/2013 07:48 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> A "with" should evaluate to an address
IMHO this is an "implementation detail", that any compiler can handle as
it likes to. It also could just work as if in the source the appropriate
record elements code are prefixed by the "with" argument. That does not
prevent that during compilation as well a code using "with" as a fully
expanded code can be optimized to use a pointer to the record.

(I in fact never use "with" as with  Delphi 7 -  which I last tested on
that behalf - the debugger does not easily show record elements that are
defined in a "with" clause. Moreover more often than not the code with
(nested) with can get rather ambiguous and confusing.)

-Michael