[Lazarus] Startlazarus starting "wrong" Lazarus

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Sat Jan 12 17:04:45 CET 2013

On 01/12/2013 12:52 PM, Juha Manninen wrote:
> If both versions are in the system path then anything can happen.
> The one you install from RPM goes maybe to /usr/bin/ and is certainly
> in the path.
> I recommend you put any other version of Lazarus into its own
> directory which is not in the system path,
> for example into "~/Lazarus_test". Then start it from console:
>   $ ./lazarus --pcp=~/.lazarus_test
I'm not speaking of a special setup with multiple version, which
requires appropriate handling.

I'm speaking of just a normal situation, with a /usr/lib/lazarus where
the system default executable resides, and a ~/.lazarus/bin directory,
where my custom executable resides (when recompiled to install packages).

In the usual case (i.e. new version more recent than my custom copy),
after the download a new version, startlazarus  pops up a message
"Multiple lazarus found - Which Lazarus should be started?".

But if my custom copy happens to be more recent than the new version, my
custom copy is started silently, even if it's an older version of Lazarus.

It's not so obvious how to handle this condition, but it may be confusing.

Giuliano