[Lazarus] [ISSUE] FCL-Web and LazReport

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 11:32:18 CET 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
> I do not consider noGUI a valid solution. It is a totally misguided concept.
>
> I'm sure the lazarus devs had their reasons for introducing it,
> but it is one of their worst decisions ever (in my opinion).

Actually I think nogui is a valid workaround.
Of course, correct GUI/logic separation would be better, but it is
much harder to achieve,
especially while maintaining backwards compatibility.
For example, it took maybe two days of work to convert TAChart to nogui,
and, while not pretty, it does work, as evidenced in this thread.
At the same time, "correct" solution must wait for new FPC version,
for even the first attempt,
and even then I am not sure it will be possible.

>Which was exactly my conclusion when I looked at it, and so I started fpReport  :-)
>Unfortunately, time constraints are everything :(

Yes, so it is conceivable that a "fast" rewrite will require two years
while "slow" one could be done in only one year :)

--
Alexander S. Klenin