[Lazarus] Firefox OS

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jul 15 11:41:39 CEST 2013

Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 07/15/2013 11:03 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Michael Schnell wrote:
>>> But can an "OS" completely done in Jacascript be a valid alternate
>>> foundation for cell phone and Tablet designs ?
>>
>> A lot of people who should know better think that the GUI is the OS.
> That is why I put quotes around "OS". In fact iOS is BSD Unix in a
> similar disguise.
>
> But besides the GUI API these "OS"es provide API definitions for phone
> stuff handling and other hardware/system resources.
>
> With Android these API definitions are done by Java objects, No idea how
> this is done with iOS and Firefox OS.

I think we're all writing from a position of limited practical
experience, but I think the major issue is whether Firefox OS allows
arbitrary binaries "backdoor" access to GUI facilities.

If a binary app can't get to the GUI, if there's no provision for binary
(or Java) applets, and if there's no way of injecting even a transient
bytecode binary then it might be that translating to Javascript plus
Android-style custom-drawn controls is the only option.

> OTOH, Michael's Pascal-to-Javascript translator project comes handy in
> that case.

But do we really want to go there? The FPC and Lazarus projects are
stretched enough as it is, without having to get involved in Javascript
language issues.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk