[Lazarus] Lazarus, Jedi etc.

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jul 15 15:12:13 CEST 2013

leledumbo wrote:
>> Indeed! More people should be introduced [and educated] to the much
>> better open source database servers out there, like Firebird and
>> PostgreSQL.
>
> Or if they insist on using MySQL (compatible alternative): MariaDB

The OP's backend was half constructed.

There was also a requirement to interface to PLCs etc. (using, I'm told,
the nodave library), the specific problem he'd got was MySQL access
which- according to him at least- is not well-supported by Delphi. In
that context I risked mentioning Lazarus, but I think that trying to
tell him to simply use a different database would have been
counterproductive since (a) he could then choose one that suited his
version/variant of Delphi and (b) it was in a private conferencing topic
dedicated to Delphi, not to Life After Delphi.

So while I use Lazarus, PostgreSQL and (tentatively) FireBird, there are
limits to how aggressively I'm prepared to push the combination.
Particularly when the other party is more experienced than I am and has
been known to wear a journalist's hat.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk