[Lazarus] Lazarus, Jedi etc.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Jul 16 10:59:51 CEST 2013

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>
>> It's not a bug, it's a feature: MySQL accepts data other DBs wouldn't
>> touch with a 10 foot pole ;)
>> (Don't ask about it proceeding and mangling that data - that's beside
>> the point ;) )
>
> If it really is so bad, why have so many developers- in particularly web
> developers- clasped it to their bosom?

Simple: laziness.

Because it comes bundled with the LAMP stack, in particular with PHP.

So it is set up. Ready to use. Easy to use. Just like PHP itself.
So why go to the trouble of installing a more reliable database ?

If the lamp stack had been bundled with Postgres from day 1, it would have the DB of choice.
[ and it would have been called a LAPP stack ;) ]

There is a second reason: when using PHP, the things a normal Pascal or C or C# or Java
developer thinks are "bad", suddenly become features: '' = 0 = Nil = NULL = false to a
PHP programmer.

They literally throw anything at their MySQL DB. And it eats it. Easy !

When using a "real" programming language you do things differently (at least I hope you do),
and then the junk you get (which was thrown in by the PHP programmer) suddenly causes all
kinds of trouble, because the data does not obey the rules you take for granted.

I seriously doubt any bank would consider using MySQL for their financial data.
For the cookies of their website: no problem. But not the actual account information.
Imagine their horror when the database decided to round all numbers up for no apparent reason :)

Michael.