[Lazarus] LHelp flickering solution: request for comments

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 15:25:07 CEST 2013

On 16-7-2013 14:56, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>> http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=24743
>>
>> Comments/suggestions welcome.
>
> Two questions if I may.
Of course, that's why I posted this...

> First, what happens if two copies of the IDE are
> open? Are there two separate lhelp instances, and do they track correctly?
Good point. I've been thinking about that - what about this:
* The IDE passes an --ipcname starting with lhelp then an (e.g.; depends
on any --ipcname length limits) 4 character random identifier so
multiple IDE/lhelp sets does not interfere with communication.

> Second, when lhelp is invoked by F1 (or direct equivalent), could .chm
> files be loaded in order of relevance so as to get /something/ useful
> visible ASAP?

I don't think so. It seems lhelp is single-threaded or at least synchronous.
I wouldn't think this is a big problem though - it takes a couple of
seconds on my pc to load all files; perhaps the proposed --hide argument
will let lhelp shave off some time as it doesn't need to update its GUI
while loading.