[Lazarus] Losing data when saving Database fileds with "Size" defined and UTF8 chars

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Wed Jul 17 11:36:14 CEST 2013

On 2013-07-17 02:44, waldo kitty wrote:
> should one be allowed to place
>
>    [chinese glyph][greekglyph][cyrillic glyph][latin glyph]
>
> all in the same "string"?
>
> what codepage will that string then contain?

Of course, and that is exactly why the Unicode standard was developed.

But getting back to the point. SqlDB seems to always define strings in
byte length, yet the DB-aware components use "character lengths". This
is what is causing the trouble.

Other database components, as far as I remember, have .Size and
.DataSize to differentiate between byte size and character length
information.

Graeme.