[Lazarus] Free-pascal question

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 11:07:32 CET 2013

On 2013-03-07 09:45, Chavoux Luyt wrote:

> This might be slightly off-topic... I have some fpc -related questions:
> 1. How good is Lazarus/fpc for embedded programming (compared to C)?

FPC works just fine for embedded programming. I haven't tried LCL for
such tasks, simply because LCL is to "fat" for my taste. Rather large
executables, even for a "hello world" application.

Paul Breneman has some excellent information about embedded work with
FPC in combination with fpGUI toolkit. A simple 2.5MB download and you
have a compiler, fpGUI toolkit, Visual Forms Designer and the
experimental Maximus IDE. Due to the usage of fpGUI, executables are
nice and small too.

I've tested his downloads with a Garmin iQue M5 (WinCE device), and with
a Raspberry Pi (ARM Linux). Paul uses different devices.

  http://www.turbocontrol.com/easyfpgui.htm

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/