[Lazarus] IUnknown and reference counting

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Mar 21 14:42:35 CET 2013

On 03/21/2013 02:15 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
> If we put accounting the reference counting aspect then interfaces are
> exactly what it says on the tin: a interface (German: Schnittstelle)
> to a class.

I see.

I once saw an algebra done with certain objects using operator
overloading and interfaces. (e.g. Matrix algebra, or operations
introduced on file-based objects). Here reference counting /
auto-creation / auto deletion is very useful.

> Now FPC and Delphi add two additional concepts to this:
> * reference counting for interfaces (in FPC only those that are not
> declared after a {$interfaces corba} directive)
Yep.
> * the ability to delegate the implementation of the interface to a
> different class (using the "implements" keyword)
To allow for a kind of multiple inheritance, I supple.

-Michael