[Lazarus] IUnknown and reference counting

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Mon Mar 25 13:06:34 CET 2013

Am 25.03.2013 11:05, schrieb Marco van de Voort:

> But I agree that the name was horribly, horribly chosen. Basically what
> happened is that there was whining about how windows dependent the IUnknown
> scheme was, when it was implemented, somebody mentioned Corba as non-Windows
> possibility.  The usual anti Delphi/Windows chorus in the maillist caught
> on, and suddenly all non-IUnknown interfaces were Corba :-)

This is not the whole story :). For non-corba related stuff raw
interfaces were meant. But later we realized that they are not very
different from corba interfaces which were the same as raw interfaces
but addionally allow an interface id being a string (not only a guid) so
we decided not to implement raw interfaces but corba ones only (besides
com).