[Lazarus] Fixes 2.6.2 cod breaks 2.6.0 code?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Mar 29 15:54:49 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 09:49:55AM +0100, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > > In the next release we should mention that it uses a newer
> > > compiler, which includes many bug fixes, but contains a few
> > > incompatibilities too and include a link to the fpc 2.6.2 changes.
> > It's already this way in 2.6.0:
> > http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.6.0#Taking_the_address_of_fields_of_record_properties
>
> Yes, but 2.6.2 contains a few incompatibilities as well and Frank is
> right that a 1.0.8 release is meant as a bug fix release, so it should
> not contain incompatibilities.

That's a sliding slope. Strictly speaking, a new version of the compiler
that predefines just one extra symbol (e.g. due to a new architectural
issue) would then not be acceptable since an user could already use the
symbol in its own code.

Things are not black and white. If there are incompatibilities, they are
mostly there for a reason.