[Lazarus] TextHeight in Console App

Edilson Vieira vieira.edilson at gmail.com
Wed May 15 17:56:18 CEST 2013

2013/5/15 Graeme Geldenhuys <graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk>

> On 2013-05-15 15:02, Edilson Vieira wrote:
> > I really do not understand why I can not make a console App that uses the
> > Graphics unit because in Delphi there is no problem on that.
>
> In Windows it is not really noticeable, because ALL Windows
> installations have access to a GUI. You simply don't get Windows (even a
> server install) that doesn't have a GUI. For a server, that is really a
> waste of resources. Linux, FreeBSD etc are quite different, where a
> server install often [really] has no GUI at all (no X11 is installed).
>
> So for "real" console apps, you don't have access to Clipboard, Graphics
> etc units - because they all depend on a GUI sub-system being available.
>
> If you are only going to deploy your app on Windows, then you can indeed
> setup a LCL package dependency to your "console" app, include the
> Graphics unit and use TBitmap. But remember that your app might not have
> a user interface, bit in still depends on he GUI sub-system, so is not
> considered a true console application. Just don't expect that
> application to run under Linux or FreeBSD servers though.
>
> This is nothing odd or strange, just things Windows developers often
> don't realize, because they only know one OS. There knowledge of
> cross-platform development is often lacking.

You are right. I am looking forward to have such knowledge because I have
the goal to make these apps code portable to, at least, Windows, Linux,
MacOS and perhaps iOS also. It has been a very hard work and sometimes a
think it is not possible at all! But I will keep trying. Lazarus/FPC has
been so far the best promise I have at the moment.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Edilson.