[Lazarus] Writing a Lazarus program with its own display, RFB?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 11:40:58 CET 2013

Lukasz Sokol wrote:
> On 19/11/13 09:48, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Lukasz Sokol wrote:
>>
>>> Check out x11vnc - it can open an existing X screen and provide it
>>> for vnc connection - and xinit - lets you open new X screen, with
>>> or without a Window Manager.
>> Noting that on unix VNC provides an X server, so if you could tell
>> that to disregard the normal startup and run without a display
>> manager etc. you could then draw onto it directly.
>
> AFAIK it requires special X invocation to start it, or additional vnc server program
> (or for the matter, a special build of X server, in Debian a separate package...)
> started if the session exists already - x11vnc does it for you (why would a program like Vino
> have to exist if this is achievable with just X ?)

Standard VNC is /completely/ separate from the standard X server on any
given system, except that some variant has the capability of "scraping"
a pre-existing window for support purposes. I normally start up multiple
copies in /etc/inittab, specifying what socket each is listening on; at
that point any activity on the console X server (or even the absence of
a console X server) is completely irrelevant.

So the issue isn't starting VNC and keeping it separate from the
console's X session, but is one of making sure that VNC doesn't fire up
the default display/window managers.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk