[Lazarus] How is XMLConfig supposed to work?

Frederic Da Vitoria davitofrg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 16:48:19 CET 2013

2013/11/27 waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net>

> On 11/27/2013 6:50 AM, Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to use XmlConfig to store simple configuration data, but I
>> can't
>> make it create a sensible Xml file. This is not really important in my
>> situation, as XmlConfig is able to correctly read back the strange data it
>> wrote, but frustrating. I searched the web but could not find any
>> example. So
>> can anyone offer a working example of creating a xml file with XmlConfig?
>>

> can you provide a sample of what is being created and what you are
> expecting to actually see?

I'm trying something like (just the minimum code, but I can give the
complete sources if it makes things easier):

const FILE_NAME = 'pXmlConfig.xml' ;
begin
  XmlConfig1.Filename := FILE_NAME ;
//  XmlConfig1.OpenKey ('/CONFIG') ;
  XmlConfig1.SetValue ('/CONFIG/L5', 'xx') ;
  XmlConfig1.SetValue ('/L1/L2', 'aa') ;
  XmlConfig1.SetValue ('/L1/L3', 'bb') ;
  XmlConfig1.SetValue ('/L1/L2', 'cc') ;
  XmlConfig1.SetValue ('/L8', 'dd') ;
//  XmlConfig1.CloseKey ;
  XmlConfig1.Flush
end;

(No, it does not make any sense, just me trying to figure out how it works.)

And here is the result:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<CONFIG L8="dd">
  <CONFIG L5="xx"/>
  <L1 L2="cc" L3="bb"/>
</CONFIG>

The only thing which worked as I wanted is that SetValue ('/L1/L2', 'aa')
is overwritten by SetValue ('/L1/L2', 'cc')

- How do I create third level keys? (or is XmlConfig able to do more than 2
levels?)
- Why does XmlConfig create L2, L3 and L5 as attributes ("/" usually is a
level separator, is it not) ?
- More generally, is XmlConfig suited to do more than a simple list (which
would be even less than a .ini can do)?

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)