[Lazarus] The future of desktop

vfclists . vfclists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 14:48:47 CET 2013

On 30 November 2013 13:28, Andrew Brunner <atbrunner at aurawin.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/2013 07:04 AM, silvioprog wrote:
>
>  2013/11/30 Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org>
>
>> [...]
>> I want to program the browser itself. In Pascal.
>>

>  Hello Michael,
>
>  Why not use an existing webkit (like Qt or Chrome) and incorporate it
> into Lazarus? That would leave the responsibility for compatibility with
> HTML5, CSS3, mp3 encode, webGL, file manipulation, , support for
> cross-platform etc. for the webkit.
>
>  Please see this nice project:
>
>  https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit
>

> What would it take - in the form of a bounty - to get a community wide
> project to get Lazarus a *real* HTML5 browser for OSX and Linux?  I assume
> windows is already just an Active-X component.
>
> Any ideas? I can't stress this enough that it's like living in the
> technical dark-ages without access to developing front-ends without rich
> text and more often for me  now, web apps.

I think I mentioned what your real problem was in the my previous response.

Most of  we want can be found in
http://www.elevatesoft.com/products?category=ewb&type=web. The developer
speaks of Linux version being in the works which could be because the
backend probably depends on Delphi. Delphi as usual continues to be Lazarus
and FreePascal's worse enemy.

My  own feeling is that getting the Lazarus form builder to generate Pascal
code rather than, or as well as the .lfm files  is the first step. Then
Javascript next, QML or whatever. The Delphi legacy is still hanging over
Lazarus. Phil Hess did something that could translate a subset of the
components in.lfm files into Javascript some years ago and that may be a
start.

--
Frank Church