[Lazarus] "New" database components in Lazarus 1.0.x

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 10:00:07 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm wondering what the policy is regarding adding components
corresponding to code in stable FPC.

See bug
that Laco, an FPC DB dev, raised.

IIRC, in the past we had similar situation with the mssqlconn (MS SQL
Server and Sybase ASE db connectors), and 64 bit database connectors
(Oracle, sqlite, I think PostgreSQL) being enabled in Lazarus. However,
sorry, I can't remember whether this was in -fixes releases or in e.g. 1.0.

Juha indicated introducing new components in fixes versions is not
acceptable:
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,21693.msg127294.html#msg127294
"Generally new features are not backported. Only bug fixes are.
Please use trunk if you need a feature which is only in trunk."

However, I think it would be a shame to not have this functionality in
Lazarus as the FPC code is of sufficient quality to be moved to stable,
Laz trunk versions have been running with this for a long time (I think
more than a year for e.g. the Firebird event monitor), and the
components themselves are simple wrappers for the underlying FPC code.

Regardless, it would be nice to have this info and address the bug
report in question....

Thanks,
Reinier