[Lazarus] Graeme would love this, or not, I think

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Oct 13 21:14:48 CEST 2013

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 02:51:31PM +0200, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> > One could argue about language, but Delphi as RAD-IDE is definitely not a good
> > choice. Students tend to overfocus on embellishing forms etc, and not spending
> > their time on the more problem-solving oriented assignment.
>
> What's a form worth without a task and event handlers?

(essentially to all replyers)

The course changed from TP to Delphi (as tool) and suddenly a lot more time
was spend on non-programming.

Not everything vaguely related (to IT) is part of a /programmer's/ course.
We knew students could click around in GUIs just fine. That was not what the
course was about.

Btw, the course abandonned TP because too many students were unfamiliar
with the concept of console apps. Explaining it took a too large part of the
course, and due to its (101) nature it had to be early in the curriculum.

> > Probably because dolling up the UI is easier and gives
> > instant-gratification.
>
> Modern (portable) devices are GUI based

I hope they use it in the Mobile development class then. This was not the
mobile development class. This was introduction to programming (not UI
design, not Mobile, not, not, ...) :-)

So the idea is that the students, euh, spend their time programming.

Anyway, the whole post was meant more or less as an argument that a good
educational tool should 1) be quick to start using (so not TP) 2) not
contain parts that are not part of the course and detract too much.