[Lazarus] Graeme would love this, or not, I think

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Oct 15 05:07:56 CEST 2013

On Monday, October 14, 2013 2:27 PM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 05:14:14PM -0400, Dmitry Boyarintsev wrote:
> > > Anyway, the whole post was meant more or less as an argument that a good
> > > educational tool should 1) be quick to start using (so not TP) 2) not
> > > contain parts that are not part of the course and detract too much.
> > >
> > > How come TP (turbo pascal?!) is not a quick start tool? (despite the fact
> > the old dos application will have problems running or a modern os).
>
> Because you first need to teach people dos (and 8.3), console cmdline and
> general concepts (stdin/stdout, working dir etc)

really? i just put an icon on the desktop that opens TP directly or it opens a console window in the necessary directory and they take it from there... this on winwhatever and OS/2... other things like timeslicing came later and were advanced techniques to work on...

> They stuck with it a long time (mostly for the lack of better), but in the end
> gave up.

sadly this is understandable... too many give up too soon, these days, because they don't get instant gratification... kinda like the schools giving out those bumper stickers saying "proud parent of a high school student" vs the original "proud parent of an honor roll student" and similar... it is well known that constant (and many times undeserved) ego boosting results in less achievement and lower quality results... this is even seen in such things as simple exercising at the gym where trainers drive and praise you but your results take longer and longer to achieve...