[Lazarus] Graeme would love this, or not, I think

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Oct 16 00:25:25 CEST 2013

Sven Barth schrieb:
> On 15.10.2013 15:48, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> I'm not sure whether it's possible to run 16 bit code in a 32 bit VM on
>> an 64 bit host.
>
> If the CPU is fully emulated (e.g. QEMU without KVM) then it should be
> no problem.

That's not the point. You even can teach people using (emulated) punched
cards for job control and coding, but such knowledge is of no use on
nowadays systems. Teaching OS specific console operations (commands...)
is related to IT, but not to writing programs in general.

For writing programs you need some editor and an compiler/linker, e.g. a
Lazarus IDE which runs on a variety of systems. Then students can learn
how to use a console (window) for program I/O in about 1 hour,
sufficient for the following introduction and practice in "The Art of
Computer Programming" [Knuth]. Creating and using a GUI can become a
detached course, covering both the general GUI design principles and how
to master event driven applications.

DoDi