[Lazarus] WriteLn back to the GUI

ListMember listmember at letterboxes.org
Wed Oct 23 17:50:38 CEST 2013

On 2013-10-23 18:10, Sven Barth wrote:
> Am 23.10.2013 17:06, schrieb Sven Barth:
>> Am 23.10.2013 08:59, schrieb ListMember:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to find where WriteLn is declared; but, apparently,
>>> WriteLn is among the select few that Lazarus will ignore 'Find
>>> Declaration' requests --at least that's how it behaves (latest
>>> Lazarus stable) on my side.
>>>
>>> My ultimate goal, after finding where it is declared, is to locally
>>> modify that part of the sources so that (instead of writing to the
>>> console) it will use a global callback to display whatever
>>> WriteLn'ed in a TMemo.
>> Write(Ln), Read(Ln), WriteStr and ReadStr are compiler magic
>> functions which are not available in Pascal source.
>>> Or, is there already an alternative to redirect console output to
>>> the running GUI?
>> The Pascal IO mechanism relies on variables of type "file" or of type
>> "text". For the latter you can specify your own "textdriver" with
>> which you can replace the e.g. "Output" variable (which is used by
>> "Write(Ln)" without a file argument) which can then redirect the
>> output to something else. For an example of how to implement a text
>> driver you can take a look at the "StreamIO" (
>> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/fcl/streamio/index.html ) unit
>> provided with Free Pascal (in
>> $fpcdir/packages/fcl-base/src/streamio.pp). There a text driver is
>> implemented which allows to "assign" streams to TextFile variables
>> and thus to use Write(Ln)/Read(Ln) on them. You'll need to implement
>> something similar for e.g. a memo (or whatever method you want to use
>> to display the output).
>
> And I just found an example which already does this for TCustomEdit
> descendants: http://kd5col.info/swag/DELPHI/0017.PAS.html
> I've not tested it in FPC, so maybe small adjustments might be
> necessary...

Wow.

This is far too (incredibly) elaborate.

It's a bit like giving me plans to set up an army to invade a country
when all I want to do is to visit it as a tourist :)

As I mentioned in my first post, I am prepared to alter the compiler
sources; and I had this in mind:

I would like to add these to a common unit --such as globals.pas

type
   TMyWriteLnCallback = procedure(AText: String);

var
   GMyWriteLnCallback: TMyCallback = nil;

and then, wherever the 'compiler magic' for WriteLn is, use something like

if Assigned(GMyWriteLnCallback) then GMyWriteLnCallback(TextStuff)
else {do the usual console output}

So, could someone tell me where I have to inject these lines.