[Lazarus] WriteLn back to the GUI

ListMember listmember at letterboxes.org
Thu Oct 24 20:02:32 CEST 2013

On 2013-10-24 06:45, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> I'd suggest that you write an file driver first, to get familiar with
> the functions to implement. Play around using an file buffer, or with
> direct file I/O. Then it should be easier to replace the file by
> another (GUI) component, in the next step. If you have problems with
> that code, you can look up the RTL implementation of such I/O.
>
> Next comes a decision of direct (write-through) or buffered output.
> When the output goes into a Memo like control, I'd simply append all
> output immediately to memo.Text. AFAIR I ended up using a TStrings
> object, as obtainable from e.g. a ListBox, and implemented line
> buffering capabilities. In this case only full lines (up to EOL, or
> when the buffer is filled entirely) are added to the TStrings object
> and removed from the buffer.
>
> Bidirectional (console-like?) I/O deserves more considerations, if you
> want to implement something like that.
<rant>
I am sure what you've described does make sense, but I wonder if you
ever stood back to see that all of it appears much like a recommendation
to use smoke signalling techniques (or hire someone proficient) just
because one wants to communicate _today_ with a person of indigeneous
ancestry.
</rant>

What is worse, and what makes this rant almost absolutely pointless, is
the fact that you're not responsible for any of it.