[Lazarus] WriteLn back to the GUI

ListMember listmember at letterboxes.org
Sat Oct 26 02:30:10 CEST 2013

On 2013-10-25 14:53, Sven Barth wrote:

> In my opinion that energy is better put into getting e.g. fcl-passrc
> up to date and keep it that way (so that at least each release can
> handle code that the compiler also accepts).

You're, of course, right.

But, never mind the question of which part of what team will maintain it
(and what triggers a maintenance request, other than a long
after-the-fact bug report), how do you make sure that --at any moment in
time-- fcl-passrc is up-to-date?

I mean, suppose --using fcl-passrc-- we went through all the publicly
available code (repositories of FPC, Lazarus, etc.) and it reported no
errors, would it prove/guarantee that fcl-passrc is up-to-date?

If we could say that with enouh conjfidence, I'd gladly shift my focus
to fcl-passrc.

> I already had the idea with DLLs once myself.
>
> As long as the interface for exchanging options (and maybe also unit
> locations ;) )is kept stable or at least backwards compatible this
> should work. And as long as the heaps are kept seperate unloading a
> compiler library should also solve the problem with memory leaks...
> (maybe add a function to the API to get the current heap state ^^)

Naturally <g> I know nothing about the importance of heap especially in
this context or probbaly in any relevant context.

How hard would it be?