[Lazarus] Can't compile Lazarus on Linux Mint 15

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Oct 30 11:07:45 CET 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:29:49AM +0100, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> > The compiler's source. This is the only location which is really up to date. (may sound harsh, but that's how it is...)
>
> Strange as it may be, but I always peruse the compiler sources when updating the user manual
> for a release.
>
> I haven't encountered the XLO/XLA options.

The options were introduced (in 2.0.4!) to try to lessen the impact of
problems with $linklibs in precompiled ppus.  IOW so that it doesn't make a
release worthless if libraries are joined or renamed.

A typical example was libintl which was in glibc and thus often not linked
on FreeBSD. Another one was changing of the threads libraries (parameter -Xf
was later recoded using the XLA/XLO datastructures), which both joined and
renamed libs (c and c_r vs pthreads) and order of libraries and the renaming
of the GTK libraries on FreeBSD. (one of the rare cases where such changes
on FreeBSD were not made between major versions)

Jonas considered it doubtful, so it was agreed to put them in as beta. I
think I asked again to change them to documented a full cycle later, but it
was still considered not validated. I couldn't blame him for that, since
such incidents became rarer on both Linux and FreeBSD, not just during that
cycle, but also after that.