[Lazarus] Lazarus scattered windows

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Sep 2 19:58:09 CEST 2013

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> On 02/09/13 10:43, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> On Linux, kubuntu, kwin WM, this is definitely not the case.
>> This is by far the most annoying 'bug' in Lazarus on Linux.
>>
>> Something one learns to live with :)
>

> I have the same issue here on Linux and FreeBSD (Gnome 2.x and JWM
> respectively). Annoying, but I too got used to it over the years.
>
> The available window docking manager add-ons for Lazarus IDE are also
> not up to scratch - many issues. Lazarus IDE just seems too SDI designed
> for them to work well.

The IDE tries to manage the windows too much, added layout managers
cannot work very well :-(

Unfortunately the IDE code is a spaghetti cluster, so that I couldn't
restructure it myself. I only could make the EasyDockMaster work for me,
in an old IDE version, which I use since then. If somebody is interested
in refactoring the IDE, I can give some hints but cannot point to
concrete places in the spaghetti code, where something should be
changed. The same for the DockManager, which is Delphi incompatible and
buggy for no good reason. I also could make it work for me, but could
not add a general window layout manager interface, covering Delphi
docking, AnchorDocking and further user installable layout managers,
because I couldn't remove AnchorDocking from the controls. Another
spaghetti cluster, which looks like a maintenance nightmare to me :-(

DoDi