[Lazarus] Project Group support in the IDE

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 13 14:39:46 CEST 2013

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

> All my projects tend to consist of 4+ executables, and the project I
> work the most on consists of 10+ executables. Doing manual building of
> projects one-by-one is so labour intensive - hence I have many build
> scripts. Maintaining those build scripts is a pain too.

What improvement of that situation do you expect, when the IDE manages
the build scripts/projects for you? The IDE has no idea of your
problems, causing your intensive labour.

As I see it, it won't be much work to add a project group pane/form to
the IDE, and to invoke the build process for all projects listed there.
The builds are done by external tools (FPC...) anyway. The really tricky
part IMO would be the handling of the messages, returned from the
various build processes.

In the simplest case a click on such a message then should make the IDE
load the related project, before proceeding with the usual handling of
such an click. The same handling already were required when a different
project is selected from a project group (treeview...).

So IMO all this boils down to a *persistent* list of projects and
means that this list is not affected by loading projects, in detail the
project build messages should survive. Eventually the messages display
has to be updated (splitted?) into multiple sections, each related to
one project in the build group, and updated individually on a
compile/build of that related project.

DoDi