[Lazarus] Can Lazarus IDE debugger attach to already running process?

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Wed Sep 18 19:11:13 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-18 16:54, Sven Barth wrote:
> According to
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_1.2.0_release_notes#IDE_Changes
> current 1.1 versions support attaching to a running process. Never used
> it yet though.

OK thanks. I found it under the Run menu but couldn't get it to work. In
the mean time I'm continuing to use DDD to achieve what I want - but
obviously I would much prefer to do the debugging in Lazarus IDE (more
familiar ground to me).

Note to others that want to try this:
 - If you want to debug the CGI app under Linux, you must be root user
   to attach to the process. On my system the CGI app is run as the
   'www' user.
 - in GDB, Boolean variable values are set as 0 or 1 (not 'true' or
   'false')
 - When GDB attaches to another process, it immediately stops the
   other process, so you must use the 'continue' command to start it
   again.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/